Mortgage Underwriter Manager
Primarily responsible for underwriting mortgage loans ensuring compliance with appropriate company, GSE, PMI and investor standards. Examines loan documentation for accuracy and completeness. Works with loan originator or production staff to secure all required documents. Works with Mortgage Department supervisor on loan exceptions. Has authority to withdraw and decline loans. Evaluates the data submitted and creates conditions needed in order to obtain sufficient documentation to close. Oversees mortgage underwriters on staff.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Reviews and evaluates information in submitted mortgage loan file to determine if borrower(s), property and loan conditions meet established standards for all secondary market loans by analyzing:
- collateral valuations
- homeowners insurance
- mortgage and flood insurance
- title commitments
- other supporting documentation
- Ensures compliance with underwriting policies & procedures, investor guidelines, regulatory updates as well as state & federal laws. Trains underwriting staff to ensure their compliance.
- keeps current on all agency and investor guidelines and policy updates. Updates internal guidelines/policies/procedures to match. Trains all staff on the current guidelines and policies.
- Requests additional needed requirements for final approval as per automated underwriting systems and signs off once acceptable documentation has been received.
- Manually underwrites loans as needed and applicable.
- Rejects loans by identifying and documenting deficiencies; returning application to loan originator.
- Secures approval from mortgage department supervisor on exceptions on credit or property valuations.
- Reviews presented information to clear any conditions in a timely fashion.
- Maintain quality control standards while maintaining production standards by company definition.
- Provides training for underwriters when needed.
- Answers questions underwriting staff may have.
- Audits other under-writers files at direction of SVP.
- Works with auditors to answer any underwriting questions during exams.
- Provide stellar customer service to all staff by effectively explaining credit decisions.
- Performs any additional duties/activities assigned by management.
- Associates degree in business, finance or related field; 4 year degree preferred.
Qualified applicants must have a minimum of 2 year’s underwriting experience and be experienced and skilled with Fannie Mae's DU and Freddie Mac’s LP. Candidates must be DE Certified with a CHUMS ID and either be LAPP/SAR Certified or have the ability to obtain within 12 months of employment. Candidates must possess excellent working knowledge of conventional underwriting guidelines. Candidates must have thorough knowledge of complex tax returns/financial statements. Experienced in Rural Development’s GUS underwriting is a plus, but not required. Must have ability to recognize & differentiate various electronic underwriting processes utilized. Must be proficient with Microsoft Word/Excel/Outlook, internet and standard office equipment such as typewriter, fax, printer and copy machine. Experience with Ellie Mae’s Encompass loan operating system a plus.
Will need to be able to handle stressful situations and function in a very fast-paced environment while remaining calm and precise. Must have excellent interpersonal and organizational skills and enjoy working with the public. Will need to communicate in a clear, concise, and pleasant manner.
May, on occasion, have to work longer hours than scheduled.
Must be able to meet deadlines, multi-task and adjust priorities as necessary. Must possess strong organizational, analytical, communication, and interpersonal skills, including the ability to work with all levels of management and the Bank’s vendors. Must be a self-starter who challenges existing processes and can identify and implement efficiencies and cost-saving solutions. Will have access to and knowledge of all employees’ accounts, customer information, and the bank’s finances, so the ability to keep information confidential is extremely important.
The employee will be working in an indoor office setting in a light work situation (exerting up to 20 lbs. of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects). Must be able to remain in a stationary position 50% of the time and be able to occasionally move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc. Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity equipment. Employee frequently communicates with employees, customers and vendors. Will be required to travel to branches within region on a weekly basis, so must have a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation. Must be able to exchange accurate information both orally and written in English. Employee will be required to travel to branches located within the region.
Despite ongoing security training, there is always the possibility of a bank robbery.
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties may be assigned as necessary.
PLEASE EMAIL OR MAIL ALL APPLICATIONS TO:Park State Bank
PO BOX 377
572 5th Ave
Calumet, MN 55716