Senior Accounting Analyst
The Senior Accounting Analyst works closely with the Assistant Controller and Controller to ensure that all financial transactions are recorded in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). The Senior Accounting Analyst performs advanced and routine accounting, reconciling, and reporting functions. This position manages the bookkeeping and accounts payable functions, and ensures established internal control procedures are adhered to and functioning effectively and efficiently.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Assists in the preparation, reconciliation, and distribution of timely and accurate bank financial statements.
- Completes the quarterly call report.
- Assists in the timely and accurate completion of other bank regulatory reports, which may include, but are not limited to, state and federal tax returns, 1099s, 5500s and the annual summary of deposits.
- Performs advanced and routine accounting, tracking, and reconciling functions.
- Monitors the general ledger for potential accounting misstatements or errors.
- Manages the accounting and safekeeping functions of the bank’s bond portfolio and interest rate hedges, along with public entity pledging and communication with the portfolio manager and data center on trade activity.
- Manages the accounts payable function and is responsible for ensuring all accounts payable duties and functions are performed accurately, efficiently and timely.
- Manages the bookkeeping staff in their performance of daily, monthly, and quarterly reconciliations, balancing of general ledger accounts, balance sheet reconciliations, and other duties, ensuring processes are efficient, completed in a timely and accurate manner, and full redundancy is in place.
- Promptly reports any identified material errors or suspicious activity to the Controller and monitors through to resolution.
- Develops, prepares and maintains financial and other reports for management and the Board.
- Performs special projects as assigned, including research, analysis, tracking, and reporting.
- Assists with the external audit of the GAAP financial statements, including preparation of the financial report, audit schedules and communication with external auditors.
- Assists with the preparation and gathering of information for regulatory or other examinations.
- Adheres to financial and accounting related internal controls in accordance with FDICIA requirements, and maintains and gathers audit evidence as required
- Recommends cost control measures and revenue enhancement measures.
- Assists with the budgeting process.
- Provides backup to Bookkeeping and Accounts Payable Departments and other functions within the accounting and finance department as deemed necessary.
- Stays abreast of new accounting or regulatory pronouncements.
- Counsels other staff and departments on accounting questions and issues.
- Perform quality work within determined timeframes.
- Lead, manage and drive accountability for direct reports.
- Provide exceptional internal and external client service.
- Work effectively as a team contributor on all assignments.
- Work independently while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with other employees, departments, divisions, etc.
- Work on additional tasks, assignments and projects as needed.
Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) in accounting or finance from a four year college or university
- 5+ years of accounting experience
- 2+ years accounting related experience in the financial services industry.
- 2+ years in a managerial position
- Experience dealing with regulators, auditors, accountants, and others in the industry.
- Demonstrated experience working in a fast-paced environment on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to work independently and effectively collaborate with a team
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft applications, including Excel and Word
- Ability to leverage technology and other tools to ensure processes are as efficient as possible
- Must be able to maintain strict confidentiality of sensitive information
- Must be adept at problem-solving, including being able to identify issues and solve problems in a timely manner
- Must be able to communicate clearly, both in writing and orally, with employees, management and co-workers
- Highly organized and strong attention to detail
Will need to be able to handle stressful situations and function in a very fast-paced environment while remaining calm and precise. Must have excellent interpersonal and organizational skills and enjoy working with the public. Will need to communicate in a clear, concise, and pleasant manner.
May, on occasion, have to work longer hours than scheduled.
Must be able to meet deadlines, multi-task and adjust priorities as necessary. Must possess strong organizational, analytical, communication, and interpersonal skills, including the ability to work with all levels of management and the Bank’s vendors. Must be a self-starter who challenges existing processes and can identify and implement efficiencies and cost-saving solutions. Will have access to and knowledge of all employees’ accounts, customer information, and the bank’s finances, so the ability to keep information confidential is extremely important.
The employee will be working in an indoor office setting in a light work situation (exerting up to 20 lbs. of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects). Must be able to remain in a stationary position 50% of the time and be able to occasionally move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc. Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity equipment. Employee frequently communicates with employees, customers and vendors. Will be required to travel to branches within region on a weekly basis, so must have a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation. Must be able to exchange accurate information both orally and written in English. Employee will be required to travel to branches located within the region.
Despite ongoing security training, there is always the possibility of a bank robbery.
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties may be assigned as necessary.
(Opens in a new Window)(Opens in a new Window)(Opens in a new Window)(Opens in a new Window)