Mortgage Loan Originator
PRIMARY JOB PURPOSE:
The Mortgage Loan Originator (MLO) proactively solicits new residential mortgage and sells American Bank mortgage products to meet established loan quality and production goals. Responsible for originating retail mortgage loans. May sell direct to customers or solicit customers indirectly through third parties such as builder or realtors.
MAJOR AND ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Identifies, develops and maintains a quality network of business relationships that serves as a recurring source of referrals for new mortgage lending operations.
- Compiles and analyzes data for residential real estate loan requests.
- Outlines loan terms and conditions, and informs the borrowers of loan commitments.
- Screens loan requests based on financial institution policies and on types of loans offered by the institution.
- Orders appraisals, credit reports, background checks, reference checks and other information as needed on residential loan applicants.
- Prepares residential loan packages, in accordance with financial institution standards.
- Makes suggestions to Manager to update or add to residential loan terms and conditions on a case-by-case basis.
- Provides reports on the status of financial institution residential loans and residential loan marketing strategies, based on current and past workloads.
- Handles inquires from applicants and branch personnel. Resolves customer complaints.
This position reports to the Senior Vice President who provides incumbent with guidance on complex loans. Established loan policies are also used for reference. However, most of the work is done independently where incumbent is responsible for evaluating credit worthiness, setting loan rates, deciding on amount of collateral required, approving and denying various loan requests, and making general office decisions on a daily basis. All applicants will be required to register with the federal registry system and maintain a status in good standing under the SAFE Act requirements.
Poor loan decisions or error in judgment and the failure to follow-up on past due loans would result in a monetary loss to the bank. Poorly documented loans or underwriting that is not very detailed also presents the bank with credit risk.
This position has access to and knowledge of the financial situation of bank loan customers. The utmost discretion and confidentiality must be exercised with all data.
This position has daily contact with customers regarding loan requests via the phone, in person, or by mail. Incumbent also interfaces with staff involved with loan related items on a daily basis and regularly interfaces with the community in a public relations role for the bank. Must be able to communicate in a clear, concise and pleasant manner.
Bachelor’s degree in business or finance preferred.
One to two years of experience in a financial institution or loan office setting.
Extensive knowledge of financial institution policies and procedures.
Excellent communication skills; both oral and written and be self-motivated with the ability to work independently.
Must have an overall understanding of the additional bank products to enhance cross selling ability and possess basic computer skills with knowledge of Word, Excel and Outlook.
Physical, Mental, or Other:
Incumbent is responsible for and must use sound judgment and discretion in making many independent decisions such as reviewing and approving loans.
Must be detail orientated and be able to work independently. Must be able to handle all demands in a timely manner, and must have excellent written and verbal communication skills and interpersonal skills as this position interfaces with all levels of the bank as well as with the community and local businesses to promote new loan business for the bank.
The employee will be working in an indoor office setting in a light work situation (exerting up to 20 lbs. of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects).
Must be able to remain in a stationary position 50% of the time and be able to occasionally move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc. Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity equipment. Employee frequently communicates with employees, customers and vendors. Must be able to exchange accurate information both orally and written. Employee will be visiting customers and attending meetings so must possess a valid driver license.
When loan volume is high, some nights and weekend work is necessary.
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties may be assigned as necessary.
Please email or mail all applications to:Park State Bank
PO BOX 377
572 5th Ave
Calumet, MN 55716